Recipe of the month: dairy free cake donut recipe
March 13, 2018
- 1/2 cup soy margarine (or any butter substitute)
- 1 pound confectioners sugar (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy margarine softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Making the Frosting
- Beat 1/2 cup margarine until smooth and fluffy. Then, on a slow speed add half the confectioners’ sugar.
- Add coconut milk and vanilla followed by the rest of the sugar.
- Turn speed of the mixer to high and beat until smooth (about 2-4 minutes). Set aside to use later.
- Hit oven to 325 F and lightly oil a doughnut pan. (If you don’t have a doughnut pan, you can DIY it and shape aluminum into like a doughnut pan and place it into muffin tins)
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl beat white sugar with 2 tablespoons softened soy margarine until combined. Then add eggs, followed by coconut milk and vanilla extract. Then add dry ingredients.
- Fill each doughnut cup about 3/4 of the way full and bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden on top.
- Let doughnuts cool for ten minutes.
- Warm the frosting in the microwave for 10-20 second burst until it is liquidy.
- Dip the doughnuts in the frosting and decorate with sprinkles!