The student news site of the Blake Upper School

New Coaching Staff Leads Girls’ Volleyball Team

Bears compete closely every match

Matt Martinez-Sutton, Comedy Editor

After coaching the Girls’ Volleyball Team for two years, science teacher Kjirsten Walt decided to step down as head coach following the birth of her son, Leif.
Now, the team welcomes two new coaches, physics teacher Steve Kaback and Mikayla O’Connor, who played club volleyball at the University of Minnesota. O’Connor stepped down from her coaching role on September 26 for personal reasons.

Kaback, who played men’s beach volleyball in both high school and college, decided to take the position after hearing about the need for a new head coach. Kaback has coached boys’ volleyball for five years and girls’ for one.
When talking about the last volleyball game on September 28th against Breck, Kaback said, “We started off way too slow, we had a good third set, but we were down 0-2, so we put ourselves into a deep hole.” The final result of that game was 0-3. While the team has struggled at times this year, they have continued to compete in games even when facing deficits like this recent one.

As a fairly young team, Kaback said they will look to senior captains Elizabeth Opp ‘18 and Emily Hykes ‘18 to use their experience to lead the team. Looking at the season ahead he thinks that there are some more experienced teams in the schedule, but says that they hope to “be competitive at every point of every game.”