48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    50 °
    50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    51 °
    52 °
    52 °
    53 °
    55 °
    56 °
    56 °
    56 °
    56 °
    57 °
    57 °
49°/ 46°
58°/ 50°
47°/ 44°
Moderate rain

Softball changes class

Team seeks success in AA

After playing a few seasons in Class AAA, the Girls’ Softball team is moving down a class to AA.

The team is looking for more success in the postseason after ending last season with a 0-2 record in the section playoffs.

The team is excited to rebound this year. Captain Lucy Kiernat ‘19 says, “We have been getting lower seeding in sections. So, we have been playing larger schools such as Delano, and that makes it hard to win. By moving down, we hope to have more success.” Last season, the team were the IMAC Conference Champions.

Another member of the team, Nikki Stabno ‘21, states, “Even though we moved down sections, we will go farther in sections as a Blake team rather than a Blake and Breck team,” referencing the fact that the two schools had a softball co-op until a few years ago.

Furthermore, the now all-Blake team shares a positive bond between them on and off the field. Stabno continues to say, “It’s different to be able to see everyone at school and to be friends with them outside of just softball.”

Captain Sarah Weinshel ‘18 says, “I’m looking forward to how the team does in the postseason since we have a lot of young talent.”

Adding on to Weinshel’s comment, teammate Kenna Vavrichek ‘21 says, “If we bring back the same intensity and level of play as we did last year and even go beyond that, we definitely have a shot for doing well and going pretty far in the postseason.”

The team believes that they have the talent to win in AA, and the motivated group of girls will try to do just that.