35 °
    36 °
    35 °
    35 °
    35 °
    37 °
    38 °
    39 °
    39 °
    41 °
    43 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    42 °
    39 °
    37 °
    34 °
    32 °
    31 °
    29 °
    28 °
    26 °
    25 °
March 19
46°/ 30°
Partly Cloudy
March 20
29°/ 20°
Partly Cloudy
March 21
34°/ 24°
Moderate or heavy snow showers

Girls’ Basketball Team Loses Majority of Roster, Still Optimistic

Most of varsity move on as captains search
Anna Craig

With only three returning Varsity players for Girls Basketball, the team is searching for new players to join the team in hopes for a great season. The program has lost about 13 seniors who went to college, taking almost all of the varsity players as well as having a new coach for the season. 

The new head coach for varsity is Nisha Fisher, and the team is excited to see how the season will go with her. The captains are Catherine Hardy ‘23, Naima Michael-Crushshon ‘25, and Charley Bowles ‘26, and they are planning to have a fun and successful season. 

Hardy has been playing basketball since first grade, and started playing at Blake her freshman year. In all of her years at Blake, girls basketball hasn’t been the most successful, but there are records of past teams in the gym which allude to it being a very successful and popular sport. 

In order to promote basketball, Hardy explains, “[I] and the other two captains, Charley and Naima, have been trying to [find] people in the Blake community who have basketball experience, or none, it doesn’t matter, and sort of recruit them for the team.” The captains have come to the conclusion that in order to find more players on the team, they must not be afraid to go up to people they don’t know who they have heard play. 

The captains are excited to begin the new year and have high hopes for the upcoming season, with their returning varsity players with lots of skills as well as their new varsity players. Hardy says, “We do have to spend and invest some time in rebuilding the program, getting numbers, things like that. But, I do have hopes that we can competitively play and compete in games.” 

Hardy also mentions that the captains are making plans for bonding events, “Create like fun sort of events to do during the year to make it more fun, I guess, and more sort of meaningful games”. There were open gyms throughout the month of October and some more are coming in November, followed by the captains’ practices and the regular season.