56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
May 1
64°/ 48°
May 2
51°/ 49°
May 3
69°/ 44°

Girls’ Tennis Starts Season Impressively, Makes Single A Return

Team seeks state title in new division
Amelia Bush
Members of the girls’ tennis team watching and supporting their teammates after their match.

The girls’ tennis team has started the season off strong with their daily practices. This season, girls’ tennis made a transition from the AA division, which consists of schools with larger enrollment, to the Single A division, which is schools with enrollment of less than 500 students.

Captain Nana Vang ‘24 gave her thoughts on the transition back to single A: “I am a little disappointed, I think we can make a good run, some people may underestimate the team. I think it’s a good chance to win state in general so I am excited for that… [t]he team hasn’t had as many young people on the team so the future is looking bright.”

Nora Ibrani ‘26 described the strong culture within the team, specifically the team spirit. Ibrani explained that one of the most important factors of the varsity team is “The team, community, getting better, getting good at the sport you like and being with your friends.” Ibrani continued to describe how her past on JV shaped her experience now. “It helped me know, showed me what being on the team was like… Being on JV sets a benchmark for how I can achieve my goals and furthers my perception of what varsity should look like. Being on a team means not playing for yourself but for other people.”

Girls’ tennis doesn’t start practices until 4:30 so “usually once the school and try to get all of their days where practices start day ends… [members of work done at the same at 6:15, “most people go the team] go to a cafe time” said Ibrani. On the home and just do their homework.”

Although the girls’ tennis season may be hard work, off-season conditioning is important. Ibrani shared how most people go about their tennis career outside of the season by explaining that “[the] majority people in the team do group sessions or private sessions with match play, USTA and playing other people in off time. That’s what makes you better at playing other people.”

Ibrani also emphasized school spirit. “[We have] solid team spirit, we have theme days, uniform days and white out. [We] All have matching ribbons in our hair for games. I think tennis is a quiet sport so cheering may be a little different compared to football or basketball. The audience is fine but it doesn’t matter and may stress some people out,” explained Ibrani.