53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    53 °
    56 °
    58 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
    70 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    66 °
    63 °
    60 °
    57 °
    54 °
    53 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    50 °
May 8
72°/ 50°
Sunny
May 9
63°/ 49°
May 10
71°/ 47°

Historical Winter Festivals Propel Family Fun

Attractions rooted in history and full of present fun

In Minnesota, a state with a reputation for bitterly cold temperatures and long, dreary winters, embracing the chill has warranted a permanent place in the cultural scene. Whether it involves cross-country skiing, supporting local vendors, sampling frosty delicacies, or simply as a fun activity to bond over, winter festivals have been a way for Minnesotans to celebrate the season that otherwise would only induce heartache. 

Minnesota’s long history of winter festivals began with the Saint Paul Winter Carnival in 1886. In fact, this event was the first winter festival in all of the United States. It began as a protest against the notion that Minnesota was, climatically, just as forbidding a place as Siberia. Ever since then, Minnesotans have come together to huddle against the chill, and have fun doing so. Today, you can still see the Saint Paul Winter Carnival carrying on strong, along with a few additions to the winter festivals roster, such as the Luminary Loppet. Held in February, the festival is a candlelit cross-country ski (or walk, if that is more your speed) at Lake of the Isles. Blending these activities with the beautiful outdoors and winter treats such as hot cocoa and s’mores, it is no wonder that the Luminary Loppet has earned a place among the hearts of many. “It’s just really festive and fun and beautiful,” says Rebekah Johnson, physics teacher and avid Nordic skier, of the event. 

This year, among the Saint Paul Winter Carnival and Luminary Loppet, revelers can look forward to the COOP FIS World Cup in cross country skiing. The event is being hosted in Minneapolis in February of 2024, and it brings the world cup back to the United States for the first time in two decades. 

With winter fast approaching, remember to take some time to appreciate the cold, whether it be through skiing, enjoying the snow, or winter festivals.