62 °
    65 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    62 °
    60 °
    59 °
    58 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    49 °
    50 °
    52 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
68°/ 41°
Moderate rain
May 1
65°/ 48°
Cloudy
May 2
51°/ 48°
Moderate rain

A Celebration of Holiday Music

Caitlin Strauss
Scan this to use the playlist above on Spotify.

‘Tis the season to enjoy both classic and new holiday songs.

With the holiday season upon us, music is the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit. When asking a few students about their favorite holiday tunes, the most commonly mentioned was Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You.” As students describe why they enjoy this song, it is understandable that we are often influenced by the music of those around us. Abby Hill ‘26 explains, “My parents always listen to [All I Want For Christmas Is You], and I kind of got hooked on it.”  

With a slower start, this song draws the listener in, focusing on Carey’s impressive vocal range. Multiple instruments then accompany Carey’s voice in a fast-paced, uplifting holiday celebration. Rhea Farhan ‘27 explains that this song is enjoyable simply because it is “catchy.” Sometimes a catchy tune is all one needs to love a song. With the cheerful lyrics “lights are shining so brightly everywhere…the sound of children’s laughter fills the air,” it’s no wonder this is the best-selling Christmas song by a female artist. 

Amir Kats, middle school band and orchestra teacher, explains that Christmas songs are the most commonly played because “[Christmas is] such a part of Western culture that you’ve had the chance over the years for a lot of Christmas music to be written.” 

However, Kats also states that “amongst the Jewish holidays, Hanukkah has the largest number of songs composed around it.” One such song is “Miracle” by Matisyahu, a Jewish musician with a reggae and rap background. This upbeat song has a catchy melody and a unique blend of reggae and pop. Matisyahu’s lyrics capture the spirit of the season by asking “do you believe in miracles?”

One song that both Kats and Blake students mentioned is “Let It Snow”, a tune about the winter season instead of a specific holiday. Canadian singer Michael Bublé’s version has a pleasant jazzy feel throughout with soft, consistent vocals. His voice borders on monotonous, though, as is hearing “let it snow” in triplets repeatedly. However, overall this could be a cozy tune on a cold winter day. 

Finally, “Merry Christmas” is a newer collaboration between Ed Sheeran and Elton John. This is a slower, heartfelt song that some might find clichéd. With bittersweet lyrics including “I know there’s been pain this year” and “can we all spare a thought for the ones who have gone,” it also provides a sense of hopefulness with “family and friends all together where we all belong.” The vocal combination of Sheeran and John is a gift to holiday music listeners.