55 °
    55 °
    55 °
    54 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    53 °
    54 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
58°/ 49°
45°/ 43°
Moderate rain
48°/ 45°

Orchestra Festivities Resume Sparking Connection

Musicians across campuses unite
79+Middle+School%2C+38+Upper+Elementary%2C+and+34+Upper+School+string+students+students+played+in+the+gym.+%E2%80%9CJust+playing+with+that+many+people+feels+amazing%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Jennifer+Kalika%2C+the+Lower+School+String+Teacher.+
Gabriella Marmet
79 Middle School, 38 Upper Elementary, and 34 Upper School string students students played in the gym. “Just playing with that many people feels amazing,” said Jennifer Kalika, the Lower School String Teacher.

The annual Chamber Orchestra Festival met on Feb. 8, featuring orchestra members from grades 5-12. This event was put on hiatus for a few years due to the pandemic, but members were able to come together again last year to restart this tradition. Upper School Instrumental Music Director Brian Lukkasson and middle school band and orchestra teacher Amir Kats led the group in playing a variety of pieces. Usman Mallick ‘24 stated that the music departments’ original idea of this event was to bring together musicians from different grades in order to create music together.

Students were intended to expand their community circle and reach out to peers that they normally didn’t see. Students played traditional pieces such as the “Alma Mater” and “Spring” from Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. They also dabbled in more contemporary pieces such as “Monarch Migration” by Nubia Jaime-Donjuan and “Red Lodge Reel” by Peter Ostroushko. Mallick stated that his favorite piece, however, was “Beyond the Thunder” by Deborah Baker Monday. Students were introduced to their stand partners, who were generally from other grades or orchestras. “I think it’s super important for the orchestra community to bond,” Mallick said.

Additionally, they played games such as the viral Oreo Cookie Challenge, in which students put an Oreo on their forehead and tried to get it into their mouth without using their hands. Orchestra member Rhea Farhan ‘27 stated, “It was a really fun event.” She added, “it was nice to be able to meet people from different grades.”