74 °
    74 °
    72 °
    70 °
    67 °
    65 °
    63 °
    62 °
    60 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    56 °
    58 °
    61 °
    65 °
    67 °
    69 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    72 °
    70 °
May 18
78°/ 61°
Patchy rain nearby
May 19
74°/ 55°
Patchy rain nearby
May 20
76°/ 59°
Moderate rain

Take Me Out to the Ball Game!

Target Field atmosphere heats up
Lilah Johnson
On Friday, April 19, the Twins played the Detroit Tigers and lost 5-4.

There’s nothing I love more than summer nights at Target Field. The food, the fans, and the game all make for the perfect environment. This year, there’s high hopes all around following a successful season and the team’s first playoff win since 2004 in 2023. The start of 2024 has been rough, with injuries to many key players and difficult losses to teams within the division as well as other playoff hopefuls, but it’s still early in the season and fans have a while before they need to really be worried.

I attended a game at Target Field on Apr. 21. In front of an announced crowd of 17,757, the Twins fell 6-1 to the Detroit Tigers. However, the experience was still very enjoyable. Many fans held out until the very end, even though the Twins were behind for the whole game. Despite the difficult start to the season, fans remained supportive, cheering when the Twins would record outs or when players got on base. 

Of course, many fans go to Target Field to support the Twins and hopefully catch a win, but there are many great attractions for those who are not big baseball fans. Between innings, there are games on the JumboTron, mascot races, and, my personal favorite, celebrity look-alikes found in the crowd shown on the JumboTron. The Twins also have a small mini golf course located in the plaza at Gate 34. 

Food is a big part of the Target Field experience for most fans. For me, mini donuts are a staple at every game I attend. I often get my mini donuts from Papa Pete’s, located in section 134, but for those looking for the best possible donuts, Lil’ Orbits donuts, located in section 323, are as good as it gets. I also got cheese curds, another ballpark classic. Whatever you like, it’s not hard to find delicious food at Target Field.

I can’t wait to go to more Twins games and spend more time at one of my favorite places. Even though it’s been a rough start, all signs point to a fun season ahead. Be sure to check out a Twins game this year if you’re able!