68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    60 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    60 °
    61 °
    62 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
    66 °
    70 °
    72 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
May 19
73°/ 55°
Patchy rain nearby
May 20
75°/ 59°
Moderate rain
May 21
64°/ 50°
Heavy rain

“Waves” Movie Review

Excellent acting creates superb film
Gabi Marmet
“Waves” captured the hearts of many through its powerful acting.

“Waves” is a patient and long film that goes through all the emotional curve balls and shows how teenagers bottle up their feelings until a final breaking point. In the case of the main character, Tyler, he is at his breaking point. Besides the movie’s legendary soundtrack that ranges from hip hop and R&B to classical, it features poignant, introspective songs by Frank Ocean, Sza, and Tyler, The Creator; the movie teaches us how to communicate with those around us and learn the beauty of life and being alive. Tyler’s father expresses the central idea surrounding the movie with, “Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.” Waves navigate the struggles of wanting to be “perfect” while suffocating by the life around us. 

According to Loraine Pidot ‘26, “the movie is very emotionally powerful and moving… to think about that the movie is focused on the aftermath of a tragedy. There are such important topics that are discussed such as scenes of abortion that are important for people to think about. It really changed my outlook on life and you have to be ready for that.” The cast delivers powerful performances, bringing a significant amount of depth and authenticity to the characters, from the intense turmoil of Kelvin Harrison as Tyler and the strength of Sterling K Brown. When we are older, we genuinely think we are invincible to the world around us; in the case of Tyler, the star athlete who shouts, “I can not be taken down,” which in the end leads to his breaking point without having the emotional strength to handle when a twist of fate takes him on a spiraling journey. 

Sterling K Brown, who played the younger brother of the King in The Black Panther, plays the overbearing perfection-obsessed dad, wanting the best for his son while unable to find insights into what the kids want. According to Olivia Duplessis ‘26, “The film is filled with unimaginable pain, love and forgiveness. There is so much beauty in this and I think for teens it shows how different people deal with pressure and it truly illustrates how teens persist through stress from school, sports, love, and life around us. I think that the movie shows how fast we can cross over the bridge and tumble and it will be too late. I think that this movie is a beautiful reminder to talk and share what you are going through. Ummm.. I think the movie’s name truly says its all… It shows the waves and obstacles we deal with and how we cope with pressure.” The movie is a must watch and if you are looking for a movie where you truly feel that you are going through all stages of grief, need a good cry, or want to listen to one of the most well constructed movie soundtracks, this movie is the perfect movie for you. As Sterling K Brown, Tyler’s Father, states at the end of the movie, “All we have is now.”