24 °
    24 °
    24 °
    25 °
    26 °
    28 °
    30 °
    32 °
    34 °
    36 °
    38 °
    39 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    36 °
    35 °
    35 °
    34 °
    34 °
March 29
42°/ 23°
Light freezing rain
March 30
40°/ 33°
March 31
46°/ 33°

Weather Improves, Moods Change

Students experience mostly positive mood changes during spring, summer months
One student responded that the change of seasons bring[s] back motivation to complete my school work and self care regiments! I also notice my room is a lot cleaner and there are less empty water glasses.
One student responded that the change of seasons “bring[s] back motivation to complete my school work and self care regiments! I also notice my room is a lot cleaner and there are less empty water glasses.”

According to the Mayo Clinic, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), is a form of depression that directly corresponds to the change in weather. Most cases of SAD occur in early late fall and early winter, but get better as the sun comes out with spring and summer. With the unpredictable Minnesota climate, mood shifts with the weather are common, but does this mean it’s SAD? While bad weather can have a negative effect on emotions, SAD requires consistent negative emotions for diagnosis. But what are the effects of the unpredictable weather on students? According to a survey sent out to the student body, 76% of the 125 students that responded feel that their mood changes when the weather becomes nicer. Of this 76%, 80% stated that the change in emotion was positive. One response stated that there is “more motivation, it’s easier to get out of bed in the morning when you wake up with the sun shining into your room” and another anonymous student “smile[s] more and physically feel a weight off of me. The sun makes me feel healthier and more happy.” 

Felix Riedel ‘24 added, “Especially when it rains, a weird feeling comes. Sunny makes me feel very happy, also because it’s good to get sun”. For another anonymous student, the mood change “allows me to feel more joyful, optimistic, and bring about a sense of a new beginning and new possibilities.”