Potato Everything

Endless versatility

Back to Article
Back to Article

Potato Everything

Sofie Richardson

Sofie Richardson

Sofie Richardson

Sofie Richardson, Contributing Writer

Potatoes are an incredible, starchy, tuberous crop filled with vitamin C. These special spuds are a staple food across the globe and arguably win the title of most versatile vegetable. With the frigid Minnesota winter now upon us, consuming the warm comfort food is bound to help alleviate some of the pains that the cold weather brings. Here are just a few examples of the variety of delicious forms the humble potato can take on.

POTATO CHURROS:

Recently, I had the opportunity to try a form of potato I had never encountered before, the potato churro. As a big fan of both potatoes and churros, my expectations were high, and I am pleased to say I was not disappointed. This style is fantastic. Combining the starchy and savory taste of a potato in the style of an easily dippable churro is an incredible idea. When taking a bite, the hard and slightly crispy crust quickly breaks to reveal the soft and warm inside. 10/10 recommend this trendy and exciting potato variation.

POTATO CHIPS:

The casual potato chip, a perfect snack for anywhere and anytime. From your basement late at night to the cafeteria during lunchtime, potato chips are always a happy sight. Sadly, this form of potato tends to lack nutritional value so make sure to pair a bag of potato chips with an actual vegetable.

MASHED POTATOES:

Mashed potatoes, the most classic potato variation. Thanksgiving wouldn’t be complete without the most vicious form of potatoes spreading out and touching all the other foods on your plate. But, for those who crave a little spice in their life, mashed potatoes will likely lack that kick you desire.

BAKED POTATOES:

With baked potatoes, you get the best of both worlds – the inside and the skin! Shame on those who don’t eat the skin, you’re missing out on all that fiber, vitamin B and calcium. Baked potatoes offer the opportunity to exercise some creativity by adorning them with toppings from standard options like sour cream, cheese, and bacon to more adventurous possibilities like fried eggs and hot sauce. With baked potatoes the sky is the limit.