49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    48 °
    50 °
    53 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    65 °
    66 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    64 °
May 2
51°/ 48°
Moderate rain
May 3
69°/ 44°
Sunny
May 4
58°/ 46°

Drumstick Dash Motivates Runners

Gabriella Marmet

The annual Minneapolis Drumstick Dash around Lake Harriet challenged racers on the morning of Thanksgiving. Four races ring the lake: The Drumstick Dash (10k), Pie Run (5k), Cranberry Cruise (1 mile), or Cranberry Kids Half Mile. Together, the Drumstick Dash and Pie Run can have up to 850 participants. The races are staggered to ensure that nobody gets injured and countless people can engage in the run; The Cranberry Cruise and Kids Half Mile begin at 7:30 am, while the Drumstick Dash and Pie Run begin at 8:00 am. Junior Grade Dean Maggie Bowman participated in this race countless times during high school and some before COVID-19, and would love seeing “small kids, families, or people who were there as an activity to do over the holidays”. 

Each participant of the Drumstick Dash or Pie Run receives a paper with a number to place on their outfits possessing a tracking device. The data from the tracker can be seen online soon after the race: It includes interesting information including their average pace, fastest mile time, and the speed of each individual mile. The website also determines what rank each person gets as a whole as well as in their age range and based on gender. Once the horn is blown, the timer on each tracking device begins, and will continue to keep time until the person passes the finish line (this ensures that everyone knows their exact race time). 

Whether walking their dogs around the lake or cheering on their family and friends, there are always people with big and encouraging smiles. Huge crowds cheer on the runner as they get near the finish line, motivating them to make their final push towards the end. Not only do these races promote wellness in the community, but they are also a great way to gain an appetite for Thanksgiving dinner. Bowman explained that she would love to see more annual races similar to this, “I think that many many people are motivated by a particular event more so than just going on a run on an average day. So I think the more that there are specific events around it, then that will help people to get involved in it or improve wellness.”