55 °
    55 °
    55 °
    55 °
    54 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    53 °
    54 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
58°/ 49°
45°/ 43°
Moderate rain
48°/ 45°

Losing Streak Lost

Boys’ Hockey beats Breck 6-4
Eli Charney
Landon Bell ‘26, Captain Oliver Duininck ‘24, and Joe Erickson ‘26 celebrate for the camera with teammates during the Jan. 16 game against Breck at Blake Ice Arena.

“It was a pretty electric time to get our first win”

— Fuzz Aafedt ‘25

The Boys Hockey team was on rough ice. The last time Boys Hockey had a record below .500 was seven years ago. The Bears started the 2023-2024 season with 12 straight losses, mostly against the top teams in the state such as Gentry Academy and Wayzata. According to forward Landon Bell ‘26, “One of the main reasons [for the losing streak] is this year we [Boys Hockey team] lost a lot of seniors and the team is super young.” More than half of the team’s players are underclassmen, with this year being the first varsity playing experience for some. However the team has stayed focused on improvement during every practice, despite many losses by one score against teams such as Providence Academy and Mounds View. Rookie defender Drew Cheng ‘27 believes, “Making sure each game matters and making sure each player is ready for every shift like the biggest game of the year can help bring the compete to each game.” The Bears snapped their losing streak and picked up their first win of the season over conference foe and rival Breck in a back-and-forth battle ending 6-4 in favor of the Bears. Bell states, “Playing against our rivals Breck, kinda fires everyone up a little bit.” Since the win against Breck, the team picked up its second win against Saint Paul Academy, while also losing in two close overtime games against Providence Academy and St. Cloud on senior night. The Bears look to close the tough regular season strong against top teams, with a match against top-seeded Wayzata on Feb. 9 being a highlight. The Bears currently sit in 3rd place in the IMAC conference with a record of two wins, three losses against IMAC opponents.