53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    49 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
57°/ 49°
50°/ 44°
Heavy rain
51°/ 44°
Moderate rain

Breakfast Sparks Controversy Between Sweet, Salty Options

Both sides have delicious dishes
Eva Stegic
The English breakfast dominates the Stegic house in the morning.

When you go out for breakfast, you have to make the ultimate decision: sweet or salty. If you’re cool (like me) you obviously choose the salty breakfast, or if you’re like my brother, you will probably choose the sweetest pancakes possible. 

At my house, when we make breakfast as a family, we usually make a full English breakfast, which includes sausage, English bacon, beans, toast, eggs, roasted tomatoes, and fried mushrooms. I really enjoy this breakfast, especially the beans on toast, but for someone like my brother, it’s not as appealing. Cooper Stegic ‘25 enjoys breakfast items such as peanut butter toast, cinnamon rolls, and banana bread. 

Another popular salty breakfast is the breakfast sandwich or a breakfast burrito, which we also make at home all the time. These breakfast sandwiches are usually pretty tame, consisting of fried eggs, bacon, cheese, mayo, hot sauce, and for me, pepperoncini peppers. The combination of these ingredients leads to a flavor explosion in your mouth that can’t be topped. They also are extremely filling for the first meal of the day, which means that you will have energy for the entire morning. 

Price Glover ‘24 agrees, saying that he “prefers a savory breakfast.” According to Glover, sweet breakfast items get too much “hype.” He really detests donuts, saying, “donuts are too sweet for the morning. I don’t see the appeal.” Although, on the other hand, donuts are an extremely popular breakfast item among the student body. Arlo Cornell ‘23 sort of agrees, saying that he thinks “[donuts] pair well together [with breakfast],” but he would rather have a savory breakfast to start out the day. 

Chicken and Waffles are also the perfect pairing of both sweet and savory. Cornell continues, saying he “doesn’t like one without the other,” which is insightful reasoning; why can’t we enjoy both? Cornell makes an important distinction, saying that you should “start off [the morning] savory, [and then] end the evening with sweet.” This remark is poignant, especially because breakfast is the most important meal of the day.